Thursday, January 31, 2008

Princess Zoe


Today, we had our first assisted birth . I have been checking on Carmella every few hours for several days, now. This is her first cria, and she has been pretty uncomfortable for quite a while, with a lot of pacing, hard breathing, etc. Finally, when I went out this morning, I could see the tip of a nose (not a good sign, since they are born front feet first)! I waited, and since there was no progress in 15 minutes, made an emergency call to the vet. Kim had come out to help in the meantime. I finally decided that I had to push the nose back in and try to retrieve the feet. I have to tell you my heart was beating faster than Carmellas! Luckily, with just a few minutes of moving the cria around, I finally got her positioned correctly, we pulled, and just after she was born, the vet arrived. Everyone checked out fine (me, included). and we all breathed a sigh of relief. Since it was such a tramatic birth, we gave Zoe plasma.
When we bred Carmella (brown) to Cambridge (white) We had no idea what color cria we would
have! She is a beautiful, fluffy, white little girl! Hooray!

No comments: